Featured Post

Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Pancakes

I make these on a regular basis, because my kids like pancakes, and I like to make them- especially when I can make them healthy! So, try th...

Wednesday, November 1, 2017

HALLOWEEN SPECIAL! Quinoa Stuffed Peppers and "Skully" Guacamole


I am so excited to share a new recipe with you! I must admit, these ideas were not my own. I can fully admit that I get most of my ideas for Pinterest. I honestly don't know where I would be without it! I wish I was more creative, but then again, aren't we here on Earth to help each other? So, thank you, creative minds on Pinterest!

These peppers were so easy- I procrastinated dinner because I thought it would be a lot of work and I was feeling slightly overwhelmed. And since waiting to do something makes it SO much better, right? Wait. It doesn't?!
Well, I pulled up my big girl panties and got to work... and it was FUN! The faces are easily cut into the peppers with a small pairing knife, and the filling was fast. Then bake 30 minutes and WALA! You have a healthy, tasty Halloween meal.
Ready for the filling recipe?

4- 5 Orange Peppers
1 cup cooked Quinoa
1 lb. extra lean organic ground beef (this is optional, but if you omit it, add 1 cup beans, your choice, or 1 more cup of cooked quinoa)
1 can organic diced tomatoes
1/4 c. organic tomato paste
1/2 C. Organic frozen corn
1/2 tsp. onion powder, or 1 small onion
1 carrot, finely diced
1 celery stalk, diced
1 Tbsp. Oil- like coconut oil, which is best when sauteeing
1 tsp. Cumin
1tsp. Chili Powder
1 tsp. Garlic powder, or 2 fresh garlic cloves, minced
1/2 tsp. salt- any natural sea salt
1/2 C. Cheese of your choice

Brown beef if adding to your filling. Brown and drain. If not, Add oil to a large skillet and allow it to melt. Add onion, carrot and celery, and saute until cooked but still slightly firm. Add spices and stir. Add tomatoes and paste and stir until combined. Add quinoa, corn and beef (or beans) to mixture.

Scoop by spoonfuls into your carved peppers- tops removed for easiest access! Stuff as full as the pepper will allow. You will most likely have leftover filling (makes a great hash with eggs for breakfast the next day!). Top with cheese if desired, and place in a glass baking dish. Give the peppers space. Cover and bake @ 350 for 25 minutes, then remove foil and bake another 5 minutes uncovered. The peppers will still be slightly crunchy, but soft and juicy. Let sit 5 minutes before serving. Enjoy!

What did you serve for your Halloween dinner? Have a healthy recipe to share? Please do!

No comments: