Featured Post

Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Pancakes

I make these on a regular basis, because my kids like pancakes, and I like to make them- especially when I can make them healthy! So, try th...

Friday, November 10, 2017

Thanksgiving Slaw- A twist on Tradition

Thanksgiving Slaw


Last night I organized my first "Healthy Habits Recipe Group" since our move to Utah. I held a couple of recipe groups in Oregon, but it struggled to take flight because all of my focus went to my adjustment to a new baby with different needs. I'm totally fine with that. And since I am pursuing the path of Health Coach and Personal Trainer here in Utah, I thought this would be my chance to begin again. Two friends came... who I am very thankful for, by the way! We had a great time, and it gave me a chance to start small, to make it personal and special. One step at a time, right?

We had a lot of dishes to sample! Some were better than others, which is a good thing to learn BEFORE the actual Thanksgiving meal, so I'm okay with that. The one that stood out- probably because even my daughter, who has become a picky eater, loved it (it was because of her that I made the recipe TWICE! And my sister in-law, who loves her bagged salad, loved this recipe. Thanks be to these ladies who helped me feel that this night was a success! Contrary to what may be popular belief, cabbage is a "thermogenic" food, which means because of it's water content, and cruciferous nature, your body burns more calories than you consume when eating it. It is loaded with vitamins and minerals including Vitamin C (if you're trying to prevent colds and strengthen your immune system), folate (for the expectant mothers out there) and fiber for healthy digestion, just to name a few.

So, I gladly share this recipe with you. I will give full credit to the team over at The Kitchn. They have a plethora of healthy recipes and ideas for home decorating and organization. So, hop on over there if you want something you don't find here. As good as it is, I can't help but change the recipes to my liking. So this is my version. It's only slightly modified. Please tell me what you think! It's a new twist on Thanksgiving tradition: the tradition of iceberg lettuce as salad, and canned corn as a vegetable. This just has to stop....

Just try this. You'll be pleasantly surprised. 

Salad Ingredients:

1/2 head green cabbage

1/2 head red cabbage

1 C. shredded carrots (use your peeler if you don't have a spiralizer or julienne peeler
3/4 c. roasted sliced almonds (optional- we left them out)

1/2 c. Craisins (the original calls for dried cranberries, but Craisins are probably something you have in your pantry!)

3/4 C. Fresh parsley, roughly chopped (don't leave this out!)

Dressing:

1/3 C. Apple cider vinegar (not all vinegars are created equal- try using a raw, unfiltered vinegar for best flavor, and health benefits!)

1 tsp. Dijon mustard

1/2 tsp. salt

1/4 c. plain yogurt (greek or traditional, both are equally good!)

1/2. chopped red onion- optional (this gives a spicy kick to your salad, so leave it out if you want a more mild, tangy taste!)

2/3 C. olive oil

Mix vinegar, mustard, salt and onion together in a deep measuring dish. while whisking (I used my immersion blender- like this one here. It's a must for any homemade dressing or condiment!) add the oil slowly. This will thicken the dressing, help the flavors to marry, and all of the ingredients to coalesce. 

Add about 75% of the dressing to the salad. Toss and then determine if you need the rest. I have had remaining dressing every time I have made this!

This salad can sit at room temperature without wilting, and overnight in the refrigerator without losing it's crunch which makes it a great make-ahead dish for your Thanksgiving meal! Tell me what you think! Will you make this for your next Thanksgiving or family get-together? What did you think? Leave your comments and suggestions below!

Enjoy!

Healthy, happy eating!

Amy




No comments: