Featured Post

Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Pancakes

I make these on a regular basis, because my kids like pancakes, and I like to make them- especially when I can make them healthy! So, try th...

Wednesday, June 23, 2010

Quinoa with Toasted Almonds and Cranberries

I got this recipe from the back of the package of quinoa I purchased, and it's delicious!

1 c. Quinoa, well rinsed and soaked for 30 minutes
1 1/2c. water (or reduced-sodium chicken or vegetable broth)
1 cube broth stock cube*(unless already using broth instead of water)
1/4t. salt
1/2c. blanched, sliced almonds
1 cinnamon stick
1 bay leaf
1/2c. dried cranberries

In 2 qt. saucepan, bring water and stock cube (or broth) to a boil. In a separate skillet on medium heat, stir and toast almonds until golden. Add quinoa, and stir and roast quinoa until dry and turning color. Transfer quinoa and almonds to a saucepan. Addbroth stock cube  (or just broth), salt, bay leaf, and cinnamon stick. Return to a boil, cover, and simmer for 20 minutes. Remove from heat and allow to sit for 5 minutes. Fluff gently with a fork and serve.

This is great for breakfast, or a great snack when you need something sweet and savory!

No comments: