Featured Post

Whole Wheat and Oatmeal Pancakes

I make these on a regular basis, because my kids like pancakes, and I like to make them- especially when I can make them healthy! So, try th...

Saturday, May 29, 2010

Summer Favorites

So most people who have ever eaten with me during the summer already have these recipes, but I thought it might be good to repost them for anyone who might have missed them! Thought I would start with the Quinoa ones. I love this little grain. It is gluten free, has protein and a yummy nutty flavor. Make sure you rinse it well before you cook it. It is a 1:2 ratio of grain to water, just like rice.



Citrus Quinoa Salad

1 cup quinoa

1 cup diced cucumber

½ cup diced figs, apricots, or raisins

½ cup mandarin orange sections, halved

¼ cup sunflower seeds or almonds

2 diced green onions

2 tbs chopped cilantro or parsley

Dressing:

1 tsp lemon rind

3 tbs lemon juice

1 tbs sesame oil

1 tsp sugar

½ tsp cumin

Rinse quinoa thoroughly in running water. Boil 2 cups of water. Stir in quinoa. Simmer for 15 minutes or until water is absorbed and quinoa is transparent. Drain and let cool.

Combine salad ingredients in bowl with quinoa. Pour dressing over salad and toss. Salad can be stored in fridge for up to 3 days.


Vegetarian Taco filling (Using Quinoa)

Cook Quinoa like rice, using a 2 to 1 water to Quinoa ratio (I actually use a little less water)

For approximately 6- 1 cup servings:

2 cups water

1 cup Quinoa

Place both in pan at med high heat until boiling, then cover and simmer for approximately 15-20 minutes. Quinoa will be translucent and a light color.

While it is still hot, add:

1 can tomatoes

1 can black beans

1 can of corn (I use the Mexican kind) You can also use frozen, but cook first

Then add to your taste:

Cumin

Garlic

Cilantro

Green onions

Can of diced chilies

Or any other spice or food you prefer!

(YES! It is THAT easy)

Serve with Tortillas, shredded cheese, salsa, sour cream, avocados or other favorites to personalize flavor!

1 comment:

Unknown said...

This salad is AWESOME! It was so refreshing, and flavorful! Thank you for sharing it with me!